Tuesday 22 March 2011

Hips, Lips & Fingertips


I just found this image while browsing around Tumblr thanks to Milly, and it's prompted me to get a little brave with a 'body image' related post.  Finally! 

I've always struggled with my body and been 'overweight', even as a kid.  I was always the chubby kid at school, with a blunt fringe, horrid thick glasses, and long skirts to hide my weight.  Not that it really worked, I've learnt now that you can't hide shape under baggy clothes no matter how hard you try!  If anything it made me look bigger than I was; favouring guys jeans, band t-shirts and hoodies over anything actually flattering.

Exhibit A;  Aged around 14 or 15
Now at almost 20, I'm still classed as overweight (although I fucking DESPISE that term), but I'm okay with it.  I like to think as I've grown up, I've grown into it better and it's turned out more curvy rather than round, like I was as a teenager.  Thank the lord!  I've also learnt to love my curves, and dress to suit them rather than hide them.  My stomach still wibbles, my thighs still touch, and I still have the hips of your average latino.  But you know what, I'm not changing that!  I love that I've gotten curvy, and I know without this 'extra baggage' then I wouldn't have hips or boobs like I do.  

And now...

Girls, don't be tempted to change how you are to fit into the media's image of a good figure, or that infamous 'swimsuit body'.  Fuck it!  And don't be tempted to hide it away.  Dress to fit it, show it off and be proud of what you've got.  Noone needs to feel inadequate because they're a little curvier or chunkier than these 6ft, size 4 models.  Just think back to the 40s, where a small waist and big hips was the ideal, think Anita Ekberg, Mae West and Rita Hayworth... None of these waif like figures that could easily be mistaken for that of a pre pubescent boy.  Real women.  With real bodies.





It's taken me 19 years to finally accept how I am and not want to change it.  Do the same.  Fuck the haters and embrace it.

"Over weight".. Over WHAT weight?  Who defines what weight you should be?  And who has the right to tell you that you should be slimmer, taller, less curvy?  Noone but yourself.  By all means if you want to slim down for yourself, go for it.  But doing it for anyone else?  Oh hell no!  Redefine Body Image, accept yourself, take control.
Exhibit B... Getting brave.

Love those curves and love yourself! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment