Thursday 24 March 2011

Midweek Mixtape


This week I guess I'm going with a more electro theme to some of the songs. I've definately neglected Miiike Snow's stuff before now, well aside from a Sky Ferreira cover version of 'animal' which a friend gave me on a mix CD a few months ago. Since I use spotify, I ended up looking at the related artists feature and making a playlist on there of similar stuff, and that's what's been playing on my laptop for the most part of the week. The Tom Waits is a bit of an anomaly I know, but without fail, on my way to a more chill night out or a gig, I'll always resort to his 'Rain Dogs' album whilst on the bus. It has that sort of chilling out, traveling feel to it, or at least I think so.

The Hot Chip is in honour of a new, and hopefully regular night out I discovered in Chester.  On tuesday I decided to spend my last £20 on a night out to cheer myself up after being ill all weekend.  We found a gig at a new venue in Chester called 'The Laugh Inn' (awful name I know!).  It's a comedy club for the majority of the time, but on Tuesdays it's transformed into probably the only actual gig venue in town.  We went down specifically to see Jaguar Jones, a local band from Chester/Manchester area, but I was unable to find them on grooveshark to add them into the playlist.  Therefore added in hot chip since I remember it being played between bands, and having a little dance at the bar with my Guiness...


Top (L-R); Miike Snow- Self Titled Album | Jogger- This Great Pressure | The Kills- Midnight Boom | The Films- Being Bored EP | Tom Waits- Rain Dogs.

Bottom (L-R); Fenech Soler- Self Titled Album | Darwin Deez- Self Titled Album | Hot Chip- The Warning | Jimmy Eat World- Bleed American | Rage Against the Machine- Self Titled Album.

I'm well aware that 2 of the tracks don't fit in with the rest of the 'mixtape', but I just couldn't leave them out this week.  For good reason...

Those 2 songs, were the only 2 that managed to actually get me on the dancefloor the other night.  Literally the only songs.  Every now and then me and a friend from Uni go to the local 'metal' night in Chester.  It's not great.  But.. It's all there is when you want heavy music on a night out locally.  The above picture is a motion shot one of our friends managed to get while Jimmy Eat World was on.  As can kinda be seen in the background, not many others were feeling it and favoured the other random crap excuses for metal that were played, which made me resort to going out to the smoking area for half the night, or downstairs to the gay bar for awful cheesy music just to escape the dodgy rock. 


Bleed American (or 'Salt, Sweat, Sugar' as it's sometimes known) is GUARANTEED to get me on my feet.  I admit I'm not the hugest fan of the band.  By all means they're amazing and I do love their stuff, but rarely find myself listening to them at home, but on a night out it's another story.   Always ask for it on requests, and it's the only thing I ask for that ever actually gets played.   Then comes the Rage Against The Machine... Pretty much every week the DJ will play killing in the name of just since it's a classic and he knows there'll be a few of us who'll go crazy for it.  That few this week turned out to be a group of 3 of us from uni, collectively doing damage to anyone around with our hair;  Me with the extreme length of it, Luke with the brutal dreads (and the fact he was almost falling over onto people by then).  Not the best of nights but those 2 tracks made it for me so I couldn't refuse them to the mixtape even if they were a bit of an opposite to the electro!  

Hope you're all having a good week so far!
Kirsten x

No comments:

Post a Comment