Thursday 16 December 2010

...And winter warmers

Since it's the season of freezing cold nights and icy mornings (well full days recently), I thought it'd be pretty apt to do a Winter boots post, or Dirty Boots as the sonic youth reference in the title suggests, and as they'll no doubt end up in this wet and snowy English weather.  I myself have been living in 3 pairs of socks combined with my trusty bottle green velvet Doc Martens, but am I need of some more watertight and studier boots after a year or so of wearing them no matter the weather.  The DMs are showing no sign of complete failure just yet, and I do own black combat style boots, but this year I have a massive craving for a pair of brown boots or brogues.  So the hunt begins!

Tan Rocketdog chomp boots 
(disc.)

Dark brown rocketdog chomp boots 
Office £65

These were the first pair that caught my eye- Rocket Dog 'Chomps' biker boots.  A modern twist on the classic boot, with the twice wrapped ankle strap combined with a brass buckle and toggle fastening.  Durable leather and a sturdy welted sole, they combine style with practicality and were an all round perfect boot for me and my current love for tan leather.  But typically, things aren't so simple as that!  It turns out that this tan shade is a discontinued variant of the boots.  They're available in office stores(well not my local Chester store after last week's search) in a darker brown with brass accents, or Black with silver/pewter metal in place of the brass.  Although still nice, for me the darker brown was no substitute for this beautiful tan pair.  Oh well!

Barbour brogue boots 
(RRP unknown)

These beauties right here, were the long lusted after Barbour Brogue boots.  Unfortunately I didn't manage to purchase these particular ones as I was outbid at the last minute, but that won't stop my search for a similar pair of boots.  I know they're by no means as warm as the previous higher leg boots, but for a pair of semi brogue style boots I was willing to sacrifice some warmth in favour of an extra pair of socks, and an amazing piece of footwear!  Still pretty gutted not to have gotten these, but I may even invest in a pair of similarly styled and a little more special Grenson boots which I'll no doubt be covering in the future.  Retailing at around £180 for a pair, they're more expensive but oh so worth it!

Anatomical gel 'Sofia' boots 
eBay £59

My final boot find was these dark tan/oxblood leather brogue front boots.  With a slight biker boot influence in the shape and buckled ankle strap, these are looking like the best bet for my winter boots now... well until I find something I like better before buying them of course.  A nice mix of the tough biker style and my greatly loved elegant wingtip brogue elements, they're just perfect!  Even better is their gel comfort soles and grippy welt, so if all goes to plan they should offer comfort as well as a stylish look, hopefully coming in handy on this years traditional walk around Chester city walls in the freezing cold.  Warm feet and legs AND no falling over on the ice; great!

No comments:

Post a Comment